Zack5205

Best setting for milage

I recently purchased a 04.5 3500 srw auto and it came with the Smarty Touch w/ egt probe, FASS DDRP, AFE intake horn, S&B intake, 5" turbo back exhaust, and a boost fooler. I am only getting about 16mpg on the highway and im running swr#5. What would be best settings to use to gain mileage... I am very impressed also with smarty because its not smoky at all and runs clean even if i get on it, compared to my edge ez i had on my 01 Cummins.

Good morning Zack!

For mpg as a priority I use SW 9 which is the highest and I use the "greatest" timing setting as timing is important for increased economy. http://smartyresource.com/ The manual explains the settings throughout the year models. (Varies by the year model of truck) I use TQ on 1 or stock. I have rail pressure on 1 as I am not a fan of higher rail pressures for everyday use even though higher pressures will atomize fuel better and give increased mpg.

Sw9 wont hurt my trans at all. I daily drive it 1hr for work on highway and rarely commute in city driving if possible.

Sw9 wont hurt my trans at all. I daily drive it 1hr for work on highway and rarely commute in city driving if possible.

SW 9 and the trans, is that a question? Well SW 9 will not hurt it by itself. The next question is how aggressive is your right foot. Is your trans stock? We recommend SW 3 for a stock auto trans. If one should drive empty with the trans in mind SW 9 should not hurt the trans if you don't use all the power available especially under a load at low rpm. That is up to the driver.

Either way, the higher softwares give you better mpg.

Thank you!

Yes my trans is stock and i dont tow anything at this moment just using it for a dd and the only time i really get on it is when i pass, or merging onto the highway.

How would you get on it and in which gear and how low are the rpm's? Company policy is to recommend SW 3 for a stock auto. I use SW 9 when driving for economy and have fantastic results. I do drive in a way that favors trans life. This is what I do personally and not what I recommend officially. I've never ridden with you to see your driving habits and how heavy your boots are. The foot is the deciding factor.

Thank you!

I also drive with the SW9 setting. It took me awhile to get to SW9 because I tried all SW settings to see for myself which one worked with my driving style and what my truck liked.

I have always had gauges to watch key parameters. I got to using SW9 with timing on 2 with my stock tranny and got better mpg's with it. I drove thousands of miles with that setup and never had a single problem.

Over the years I have added a Pac-Brake and have upgraded the tranny for towing purposes because I purchased a heavy camper and tow a boat. I still run SW9 when towing and just watch the gauges to keep egt's in check under heavy load.

SW9 has advanced timing over the lower SW settings and that seems to help my truck get better mpg's.

If you can't control your right foot then SW9 would not be a good idea to run on a stock tranny.

Usually its from 3rd to 4th gear when i get on it or when in Od on highway to pass a car. @ war eagle yeah it mainly just dd it and try to keep off the skinny pedal so i dont jepordize anything since it is stock and know these trans are not the strongest. But im just looking for little more mpg and hp without worries.