dixon700

tuning assistance

is there any way i could send my udc for someone to look at to see if i'm on the right track? possible to post it on here?

i just don't want to melt it down right after just getting it moving. mostly just followed samples close to what my ssr tune was.

also is there a good way to smooth large sections at once?

I overlayed the SSR samples that would be close to where I normally ran on the SSR and sort of followed those. I just smoothed them out more. Timing I raised it some from my SSR tune. With SSR I was running around 26* and I set my max timing to 28*. I have a dip in the cruise region of timing with a bit more at idle like the factory timing map. For rail psi I set the max at 24,800 with it raised in the bottom and cruise region. Mostly just smoothing out the rail psi map. Max duration I have set right around 2500ms. Waste gate map is maxed while way across because I'm running a spring gate on my secondary. And to is nice slope from 0-100%. I plan on building 2 tunes. A very detuned heavy haul tune and this max effort Street. If I get everything working the way I want there is gonna about 9ton behind this truck often. So I don't think I'll want to run that max effort tune doing that.

I guess getting tuning advice isn't so easy to get even out of something outdated like UDC... Truck is back in commission, so I guess I'll start trying tunes. I got excel now, so I'll try to get my fuel split as close to 50/50 with the timing calculator.

Reading you posts, has brought back old memories. I've been using UDC Pro for so long now, it's a stretch to even remember some of the things I tried with UDC and SSR. I'll more than happy to try and help, but just remember it's been awhile....

Do you have setting in SSR that you like to run? Getting these settings close, will go along way to creating your UDC tune. The low values (low rail pressure, low duration, low timing), are mostly in effect driving on the street. For dyno tuning (or even drag racing), you are almost entirely in the high values. Once you have the SSR values you like to run, UDC comes with sample tables for each of the main levels(ie, 10,20,30,40,50). You can copy those into your UDC tune, so you have a starting point. You can mix and match as well. In other words, if you end up liking rail pressure 10, but timing 40, and duration 50, then copy the rail pressure map out of the sample 10, the timing out of sample 40, and the duration out of sample 50.

Once you have that base UDC tune, then you can use the timing calculator if you wish to adjust the splits. I would not get to focused on a 50/50 spilt though. You would not be happy with a 50/50 split at all points of the map.

I raced with SSR and then later a UDC SSR tune for about 3 years. The truck ran very consistent and mad over 1000hp. Of course I much prefer UDC Pro... :-)

Paul

Reading you posts, has brought back old memories. I've been using UDC Pro for so long now, it's a stretch to even remember some of the things I tried with UDC and SSR. I'll more than happy to try and help, but just remember it's been awhile....

Do you have setting in SSR that you like to run? Getting these settings close, will go along way to creating your UDC tune. The low values (low rail pressure, low duration, low timing), are mostly in effect driving on the street. For dyno tuning (or even drag racing), you are almost entirely in the high values. Once you have the SSR values you like to run, UDC comes with sample tables for each of the main levels(ie, 10,20,30,40,50). You can copy those into your UDC tune, so you have a starting point. You can mix and match as well. In other words, if you end up liking rail pressure 10, but timing 40, and duration 50, then copy the rail pressure map out of the sample 10, the timing out of sample 40, and the duration out of sample 50.

Once you have that base UDC tune, then you can use the timing calculator if you wish to adjust the splits. I would not get to focused on a 50/50 spilt though. You would not be happy with a 50/50 split at all points of the map.

I raced with SSR and then later a UDC SSR tune for about 3 years. The truck ran very consistent and mad over 1000hp. Of course I much prefer UDC Pro... :-)

Paul

So my last tune on the SSR I was playing with was 16/40 t 25/16 r 16/24 d

The truck was still a 6 speed then, now it's a full manual 47re. Which I noticed puts way more load on the engine. I had to go back to a heavier spring in my secondary's waste gate. For my timing I think I pretty much copied the SSR sample of 40. With my max timing set at 28°. For rail psi I believe I set the higher end of the map at SSR sample 10 with it raised a bit down in the lower to cruise region. Max rail of 24,800. My stroker cp3 keeps up great with the 100% overs. Actual rail follows demanded to a t. I did some logging with auto enginutity. For duration I set the max around SSR sample 30 and the lower end around SSR sample 10. I spent a lot of my time smoothing out the rail map because the stock map seemed so rough. I'm a very novice tuner and I have concerns of hurting my engine after just getting my truck back together. I'm not afraid to play around with it some I just would like a second opinion that I won't hurt it. I thought of bringing my max timing down a little more to around 26 max. I'd like to get something like an mm3 or the like later on for better tuning, but for now I have the SSR and UDC so I want to make the best of it for the time being.

I don't see anything that you would need to worry about hurting something. I would leave the timing alone. You can hurt things with to little timing just as much as with to much.

On a performance tune I like to run up to 25500 for rail pressure. You can gain a little performance and it allows you to use the whole duration map.

Paul

In the pictures of my maps I did adjust things a little bit from where I attached the tune up top a little more smoothing here and there and I dropped the torque management a little bit. What the maps look like in my last post is what I just loaded onto my truck and hopefully will try today. I just wanted to be sure I didn't royally mess anything up. Next is a heavy haul tune I'm gonna make.

Tried at the tune with pod set at 70 and up top above 2200 it pulled like an animal, but on back roads around 30-50mph and 1600-2000 rpms it seemed doggy and I think I was getting some injector rattle till I have a chance to adjust. I think I need to pull a little timing in the cruise region?? I went back to some SSR tuning for the time being.

If you are able, i suggest you come over to UDC Pro. There is a lot more activity in that tuning forum and you go from 4 parameters to hundreds that you can control on your truck!

I got a touch for a good deal and got it today so UDC pro is going to happen soon.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by dixon700

Pro is not in the budget at the moment. Either buying just the dongle of a custom tune set from innovative. One or both of those things will happen in the future. So I have a couple things going on. Tons of smoke at low rpms and poor spool up on the bottom. Up top it pulls like a freight train. Other issue is my actual rail is hitting quite a bit higher than demanded, my demanded maxes at 24,836, but my actual is hitting 26,116. For the spool and smoke should I pull some more timing around the 1200 to 2000 rpm range with 20-30% load? Duration in that area I have relatively low I thought. I'll post some current maps. For my high rail should I set my plateu of 24,836 a little lower?

Another question. If I load one of my SSR UDC tune would I get the options of SSR like adjustable rev limiter or would I still just retain the tntr options?

Loading an SSR tune give the option to remove the rev limiter. Also I've got it spooling a little better, but still smoky down low. I pulled a bit more timing in the lower rpm range and pulled duration.

I'm going back to the tntr version of my UDC basic tune, it pulled to 4000rpm rev limiter my SSR UDC tune quit pulling at 3600. Even though I had the rev limiter set to off.

So I look at the values of regular udc as "suggestions" for the tune to follow. Each one of the FOUR tables you can adjust has approximately 30 corresponding tables/parameters/limiters in UDC Pro. What you're seeing with rail pressure is what I found as well in regular UDC. How regular UDC translates one table into all the tables of a full tune I do not know, but it doesn't always get the numbers you were looking for...

No more UDC basic for me. I got a UDC pro tune package from Gordon at innovative. I'm waiting for my comm mod to show up. So I've just been running the base file. I like it. Nice smooth cool linear power. Still pulls pretty hard but with almost no smoke, and couldn't get egts over 1400 even trying. I can't wait to try the kill tune.