Bubbafn

5.9L common rail, setting question

Good afternoon all,

New to the J-06.  I have a 05 5.9L, moderately built up tranny, afe intake, 4 in CAT back pipe.  I completely smoked my turbo and warped my manifold.  To anybody who reads this: if you're not running a pyro please go buy one and drive by it, you'll save some $$.  Anyway, I put an ATS pulse manifold on and a HTT ProRam Stg. 2 turbo (63.5mm compressor).  Running my truck on SW2 default settings, noticed when pulling my tractor (7K total) the truck was a little boggy out of the hole.  Once it got going 2100 rpm it became a monster......question is (I've read every post on this forum and still cant figure out) what setting will get me a little more out of the hole and spool up that turbo a little earlier?  Likewise will be pulling 13K pound trailer up at 9K feet alt soon.....same settings for high altitude??  EGT hasn't been a problem yet and I am getting around 30 psi boost without really stomping on it.  Thanks all and I am enjoying the programmer so far.  

Best,

Trent 

There probably isn't much that can be done with the Jr for that at 15K lbs GCW. You could try SW3 if your trans can handle the power. 

The setting will be fine for the altitude,  but you will likely be EGT limited at 9K feet. 

• Thanks 2

AH64...................how'd it go?  Wasn't able to connect myself.  Wanted to pick your brain if possible.  Ended up pulling a 16.5 k trailer in CO.  Gunnison area so 9k feet alt.  Was EGT limited like you mentioned in SW2.  Truck pulled it fine, not fast but acceptable and I only bumped 1300 deg once on a monster grade east of Cimmaron.  What I didn't like was the inability to "really" stop that beast.  So fast forward I am looking at engine breaks.  My rig is a moderately built 48RE.  I was thinking Pacbreak or BD right behind the turbo.  How well do you figure that would all marry up with the tuner as well as thoughts on a break right behind a HTT Proram Stg 2?  Thanks bud and I hope you did well.  

We had a great season. I got a nice 6pt and a larger than average 2pt muley. 

I would look at the Pac PRXB, and I might even be replacing my Jacobs with one this winter. Exhaust brakes are HUGE for mountain towing. 

• Like 1