Utahtrapper

BBi .5 Injectors and have More haze ??????

Ok I have better MPG, quitter, runs stronger, lower egt's.

So alot to be happy about BUT

But it hazes from first start will puff black smoke at acceleration. And I mean pulling away from a stop light and just a puff but it has never done this even with the bad ones 2 weeks ago.

Now it never did this with the bad injectors.

With them a puff of white smoke and rough idle for 30 seconds on first start of the day.

Are these set for 5,000 feet elevation as I have heard that higher elevation can cause these symptoms. They day after I installed I went elk hunting and camped a 8,120 feet and it did it was even more hazy and smokey. 

So when I got back down I was expecting the clear clean exhaust everyone brags about.. But No.

For the Premium Price these are I hope to get an answer before I post on the Cummins forum!

Thank You.

IMG_20170921_093250875 (1).jpg

IMG_20170921_095718898.jpg

IMG_20171002_172518626.jpg

There really is next to No info. on this or any other site when it comes to the 0.5 tow injectors. Maybe I am the only one who's bought them.

But that not what I was told when I bought them from this Site.

Only the 1's and higher versions are there lots of feed back and comments on, so maybe these are still Beta Injectors.

Now I hope not I live in Sandy Utah . 

Edited by Utahtrapper

Good morning Sid, 

A larger than stock injector will typically offer a "puff" of smoke in pre boost conditions. The weight of the right foot also effects results. The larger you go in injector size the worse this gets. Same scenario with elevation. The higher you go, the thinner the air, the richer your air/fuel ratio.  And slower spooling.

"With them a puff of white smoke and rough idle for 30 seconds on first start of the day", well that is not right. You should not be seeing that. Something else is going on there.

On a truck which had exhibited some haze, we have swapped injectors between haze and no haze and it stays with the truck, not with the injectors. However one should never have a rough idle. If that is really the case that maybe something went wrong with the install.

But to test them we would have to measure them again. If there is really something wrong with the injectors, have no worries as they are under warranty.

Thank you!

Brian

Brian Thanks 

The white smoke and rough idle was from the Old Injectors on first start of the day. But it did not Haze later in the day.

The BBI's Idle like Gold 

So it could just be that they are bigger at a higher elevation of 4856 ft and it is 30 to 40 in the morning? 

I am stock tuning also. 

Anything  else I could or should check?

Edited by Utahtrapper

Hi Sid,

Glad to hear that was from the old injectors and the haze disappeared. Temps near or below freezing one will often see white smoke upon startup on these trucks. Usually goes away quickly with some cylinder temperature.

I travel a lot and I notice how the altitude effects what comes out the pipe and the speed the turbo properly spools. 5,000 feet I can tell a lot of difference from my home base which is near sea level. One would wish to have the truck warmed to normal operating temperature before trying to determine if what is emitting out of the pipe to be normal. 

Indeed any injector that offers greater fueling than what would be available stock could show more out the pipe if the turbo is not supplying the needed air quickly enough to burn that fuel completely. With the thinner air of your altitude that could retard spoolup somewhat which alters the burn.

Thank you!
Brian