Rob D

Hi Beams with fog lights

Brian,

I've read on other forums that there is a starscan option under "Mexico" that will program the 3rd gens to allow hi beams and fogs at the same time.  Can you run this up and see if it's something we can have added to UDC?

Here is the procedure I found:

Fog lights
Starscan Main Menu > ECU view > FCM/CGW > Misc. Functions > Enable Front Fog Lamp Output > Start > Next > Disable > Next > Cancel > Start > Next > Enable > Next > Export > Next > Finish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After going through parameter in the ecm I think FCM programming options is a whole different deal.  Would be nice to have those options though

I think some of the parameters in udc are those options, like the od off mode.  Doesn't seem to be a calibration option.

Being able to turn overdrive off through UDC I can see it being the user driver override being used to shut the driver off for that option

@Rob D I've done some brief reading on the fog/high beam issue.  I haven't verified but it sounds like the headlight switch becomes a heater due to the amp load and there is potential for melting the switch by running both at the same time.  Sounds a little strange to me without actually seeing the diagram.  I would think the lights would be on separate relays and the switch would only be carrying enough current to energize the relay coils.  What I found is people adding another relay, energized by the high beams and/or toggle switch, to close the contacts for an alternate circuit to the fogs.

I don’t think that’s quite correct for the 3rd gen and up.  The head lights at least don’t actually run through the head light switch, it’s a very low voltage to the fcm from the headlight switch and headlights are ran from the fcm.  The fcm contains load sensing circuits for the “lamp out”.  I believe the fog lights are as well ran through the fcm but without the load sensing circuit, I would have to check the wiring diagram for the fog lights

Sounds fishy to me.  I'll end up digging into the issue soon. I thought the fog lights were on a load sensing circuit.  Guess I could unplug one quick and find out.

Edited by 4Play

Fogs have a relay in the fuse box.  Headlamps are controlled under the fuse panel by fcm.

I haven't seen any indication of being able to run both at the same time in my scan tool.  There is a drl option.

Just now, Rob D said:

Fogs have a relay in the fuse box.  Headlamps are controlled under the fuse panel by fcm.

I haven't seen any indication of being able to run both at the same time in my scan tool.  There is a drl option.

That with your iScan or whatever it’s called?

Yeah the icarscan.  I think there may be more functionality in an actual DRBiii through.  Could be in there.

One hell of a drive down to Cali from here lol.  I only get 4 days off work at a time right now, no way I could drive down and back up for work in time

I'm still waiting on the cylinder contribution test to be added on the Touch.  Might have to get me one of dem dere fancy icarscan deeleewhoppers in the meantime.

Just now, 4Play said:

I'm still waiting on the cylinder contribution test to be added on the Touch.  Might have to get me one of dem dere fancy icarscan deeleewhoppers in the meantime.

Been waiting for that too.  Not sure what the hold up is

High carbohydrate intake while testing UDC on Cummins in the Alps might have something to do with it....

• Haha 1