kyler2500

Supporting Mods for the higher HP Tunes

Hey there everyone, this is my first post on a forum and hopefully I get my thought out there. As well not knowing where to put my discussion at I apologize.

So I recently upgraded to a Smarty Touch from a bully dog triple pup, bless its little heart it ran like a champ but nothing compared to smarty everything seems smoother to my father and I. I'll get right down to the point here, I am wondering what is needed to support and get the full potential out of the 170 and 210hp tunes. 

Lift Pump?

Injectors?

Manifolds? 

Intake Elbow? 

Any suggestions are great! Thank you have a wonderful day!

All of that plus a billet input shaft if you're on a 48re....  😁

• Haha 1

Forgot to add what I have done oops, it has a fully built transmission with triple billet input and output. LOL 

S&B Intake 

5" Exhaust 

My bad Rob. 😅

6 minutes ago, Rob D said:

All of that plus a billet input shaft if you're on a 48re....  😁

What size injectors since I have a stock turbo? 50?

Not sure about that, there are some other guys that can answer better.  @4Play

• Thanks 1

Stock turbo and the highest boxed settings you can peg egts pretty quickly.  At least way back in the s-06 with tnt-r days I was able to peg egts pretty quickly with stock turbo and injectors.  I wouldn’t go more than 50hp injectors and be mindful of your egts.  Anything more than then it probably won’t be as enjoyable after awhile as hard run bursts you wanna do will be shorter before exceeding the stock turbos efficiency to provide the air needed and keep things cool.   After a year of really hard playing with the s-06 tnt-r on the highest settings the stock turbo gave out and an engine rebuild was in order. 

• Thanks 2

EGT monitoring is a must.  Even with a stock truck you can push the temps to 1300+ fairly quick in the right conditions.  I'm not sure on the exact numbers for the REVO software but on the 210 hp tune you'd be very close to 3000 us in duration.  To supply that kind of fuel without a rail pressure faceplant you'd need at least a CP3 upgrade if not duals especially with over-sized injectors.  A larger single or compound turbos would needed to feed enough air.  I would strongly recommend head studs.  Depending on the setup and how much boost you are running, you'd probably get into the 103# springs and heavier rods very quickly if you chase higher rpms.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

What most people don't catch onto very quickly is the amount of potential at the stock fueling level (~1900 us).  With good tuning and some 50hp BBi's you can break all kinds of things if you get crazy but also have a great running, good mpg, 5th wheel hauling beast that can put some decent numbers down on the dyno if done right.

If its big numbers you are looking for, prepare for the never ending list of upgrades and the river of tears as you sacrifice Benjamin Franklin to the hp Gods repeatedly until your kid's college fund has been depleted and your house is up for foreclosure.  You can look forward to calling the FedEx and UPS delivery drivers family.  The best part is seeing the look on the face of that pompous BMW/Audi/etc driver when you leave them pounding on their steering wheel in a haze of smoke with their ears ringing of turbo whistle and exhaust drone.  But too each his own......  We shall await your decision.

• Like 2

So lets say for a truck that simply has a smarty touch, intake, exhaust and fully built trans is it useful to run the 170hp tune or should I merely run the 90hp seeing as though I am sure I'm wasting potential with the higher tune without supporting mods. I have come up with a list in stages that I should follow after all of your guys info.

Starting with a lift pump making my way to an ATS exhaust manifold, then taking on an ATS arc flow because simply more air the better. Then making my way to headstuds although I am sure I should just get those before anything else, then beefing up to 24% over injectors or maybe even larger then filling the gap with either a Fleece Cheetah or Aurora 3000. 

Really not wanting to chase numbers just wanting to make it a more powerful daily driver that can tow when needed here and there. Being 19 I am not the most savy with diesels but I know a little and appreciate the immense knowledge and help you guys have bestowed upon me. 

@4Play

@cummins1984

@Rob D

If your fully built tranny is rated to handle the higher tune levels feel free to run the higher tune levels.  Just be mindful of your egt’s.  It’s going to come down to your personal preference and what your truck likes and runs well with.  Play around with the different levels and settings in each level to find what you like the feel of and what your truck responds well with.  Every truck reacts differently.  What one truck might like another may not like. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, kyler2500 said:

I am wondering what is needed to support and get the full potential out of the 170 and 210hp tunes. 

This ^ = decent amount of mods.

Running the higher level tunes does still provide a benefit for most if you drive with some sanity.  When I was still running a stock truck, the best mileage was with the TNT 9 tune and mild driving.  I could not tow with it at 9 as I would see tons of smoke and high EGTs.  The REVO tunes should keep you happy for a while until you step into a custom tune.  Nothing will beat a good custom tune.  

I would say a pyro gauge would be second after a lift pump or at least better filtration.  Protect those injectors for sure.  I didn't catch the year of truck but if it is an '05 with the plastic capped intercooler I'd get that swapped so you dont blow the end caps off.  I've seen it happen on a stock truck with a boost fooler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 4Play said:

This ^ = decent amount of mods.

Running the higher level tunes does still provide a benefit for most if you drive with some sanity.  When I was still running a stock truck, the best mileage was with the TNT 9 tune and mild driving.  I could not tow with it at 9 as I would see tons of smoke and high EGTs.  The REVO tunes should keep you happy for a while until you step into a custom tune.  Nothing will beat a good custom tune.  

I would say a pyro gauge would be second after a lift pump or at least better filtration.  Protect those injectors for sure.  I didn't catch the year of truck but if it is an '05 with the plastic capped intercooler I'd get that swapped so you dont blow the end caps off.  I've seen it happen on a stock truck with a boost fooler.

Thank you very much, and it is an 06 so lets hope nothing like that occurs.