flash83

Confused about Timing Setting

Posted (edited)

Hi.

I am confused about the timing setting.

Here in the conclusion is written, that 1 is the highest timing setting for an 2004.5 Ram.

But my Smarty Touch says 1 (default) in the settings. Above is 2 and 3.

I drove the first time this morning with setting 3.

After reading the instruction here, I changed to 1.

Nr 1 feels a little weaker and I think I have seen a little more smoke on full throttle.

But this morning it was darker than in the afternoon....so it could be a wrong indicator.

Could somebody tell me the right setting for highest timing, please?

Kind regards.

Edited by flash83

heres the explanation of the settings.  To answer your question on timing directly, setting #1 has the most timing and #3 has the least timing, aside from stock timing.  Settings #1-3 all have greater timing than stock, #1 most greatest above stock to #3 being least greatest above stock. 

• Thanks 1

The "(default)" behind Nr1 in timing setting is really irritating me...

From my feeling I would say, that the truck goes better in Nr 3 timing setting, everything on sw 5 with default rp and tq 3.

Oh man, I am still just irritated 🤔

Go with whatever settings you like and what the truck seems to react well with.  Not all trucks react the same to the same settings.  It all comes down to your personal preference and what your truck likes. 

• Like 1

For instance, my old 2005 did well on the S-06 highest TNT SW with rail, timing, torque, etc at max settings when I ran a boxed tune. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2018 at 4:13 AM, flash83 said:

The "(default)" behind Nr1 in timing setting is really irritating me...

From my feeling I would say, that the truck goes better in Nr 3 timing setting, everything on sw 5 with default rp and tq 3.

Oh man, I am still just irritated 🤔

Just for clarification, “Default” just means that is the setting Mads Electronics decided to use as the setting applied to the SW when flashing and NOT changing timing settings or rail pressure settings or any other setting.  It’s like install software on your computer.  You have the default settings the manufacturer picks, but, you have the option of changing those settings. 

• Thanks 1