KJorg

DTC P0630 when returning to Stock setting

I'm a novice. I've got a 2006 5.6L with auto transmission. I use the truck for around town and for occasional towing a 31 foot 5th wheel.  Other than the Smarty, a PacBrake exhaust brake and a transmission upgrade, it's bone stock. The first (and only) time I used my Smarty Jr. I set it to Level 1 and it's worked great for the couple of months I've had it installed. I need to get my truck smogged (California), so I hooked up the Jr. and set the program to Stock. When I started the truck after reprogramming it, it started, then died. I hooked up the Jr. and checked the DTC's, and it said I have two codes:  P0630 - VIN not programmed into PCM; and P0513 - Invalid skim key.  I hooked the Jr. back up and reprogrammed it to Level 1 and it runs good again (I didn't check to see if the DTC codes).  I tried again with the same results. Do you know if I'm doing something wrong? I'm afraid to clear the codes once it's programmed for stock for fear that something will happen to the ECM/PCM.

FYI - I bought the Smarty unit used. It came with all the manuals, paperwork, cable etc.  I've had it a couple of months.  I haven't tried downloading any updates.

Is there any words of wisdom you can give me?  Thanks for any help you can give.

No way I can assist with the skim key. There may be an ecm issue as well but we have another action we can try on the truck for the vin not programming.

Please go to our support tab and make a ticket and designate it as recovery in the department line. A form will pop which you may place your truck information.

I will watch for that ticket.

Thank you!

Brian

Posted (edited)

Greetings Brian,

After our earlier discussion in May I drug my feet about putting out the money to have the recovery done, but mulled over it for a while and decided it was something I need to do so I can someday put the ECM back to stock if I need to have work done at the dealer.  Anyway, I just finished doing the payment.  If you can help me out with the ECM P0630 code I'd greatly appreciate it.

While I've got you I wanted to ask you a setting question.  Like I mentioned in my first post, I've been using Level 1 for around town and on the road (not towing). But we're getting ready to head up into the Sierra Nevada (going from nearly sea level to 7,000+ feet in 75 miles)  towing our 31 ft 5th wheel and I'd like to have the additional power and am considering SW- 2, but am a bit anxious about things getting too hot pulling mountain grades. I've recently installed gauges, so I can monitor pyro, boost and trans temperature.  If it were you, would you hesitate using SW-2 pulling grades like I'm considering?  The idea of trying to do any tweaking of anything other than SW-1 or SW-2 is too mind boggling, so I'd rather just be able to use one or the other.

Thanks again

Edited by KJorg

Hi Kim,

I will grab your ticket.

I've used the JR on SW 3 and noticed less egt than stock so you using SW 2 since you have the 48re auto trans, you should be good to go. Also less egt than stock. Use default/Greatest timing. If your 48re equipped truck was mine, SW 2 and greatest timing, those  are the settings I would be running.

I will visit soon on the ticket.

Thank you Kim!

Brian

Hi Kim,

I searched and found your invoice but am not seeing your support ticket. Which number? I need that ticket which has the form for your truck info. Thank you much! :drinks:

Brian

Hi Brian,

I think (hope) I did it right this time. It's showing #9632.  Does that make sense to you?

Thanks for the suggestion on using SW-2.  I'll give that a try.

Kim

• Thanks 1

Thank you Kim!

I will visit with you on the ticket. :drinks: