Curious, anyone ever wonder why people are so adement about highly recommending HP Tuners to people who have no gauges in their truck or tuner and are looking into custom tuning, especially for earlier generation trucks, as I have? I mean, sure, it offers same tables and everything to adjust compared to the touch or mm3.  But now you are having to purchase extra gauges and are limited on the gauges you can mount.  Some times external gauges do not provide the same readings as the ecm sensors.  For example a long time ago I tried out an auto meter rail pressure pillar mount gauge and it was WAY off what a scanner plugged to the obd2 plug showed off the ecm.   Then if you want to datalog you must plug your laptop in, it’s not always feasible to be like “Hey, I wanna datalog this climb up this hill in front of me, I better pull over and plug my laptop in.”  Then suddenly “Oh crap, I just realized I don’t have my laptop with me.  Oh why did I pull over before realizing I don’t have my laptop with me?”   Just seems to me there just isn’t the flexibility and options there over touch or mm3 to really make it worthwhile, especially if you don’t have any external gauges yet. 

• Like 3

The combined tuner/gauge set of the touch is why I went that route.  Also at the time regular udc was the only game in town.  I think the touch with UDC pro blows hp tuners out of the water... Real time tuning, as many tune files as you can fit on the SD card.

• Like 3

Way better support as well.  I think being that Smarty is dedicated to the Dodge Ram Cummins only it is good for that, provides more resources to the support area than other platforms from what I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

For out of the box experience the Smarty Touch is a good tuner. It just gets better as you dive into the UDC tuning. For the CR engines, this is the most comprehensive tuner you can get that covers about every angle you would need.  

Like I'm an older generation of the VP44 truck but I'll be diving into the Smarty very soon. I've already got my feet wet with tuning on the Quadzilla Adrenaline here soon I'll get my old laptop setup for UDC tuning strictly for the Smarty Touch.

• Like 1