cummins1984

Injector Voltage Ratings?

Anyone know the voltage rating capacity of the 6.7 injector and 5.9 injector?

I believe the injector drivers work on PWM and I’m assuming peak and hold with the 5.9 peak at approximately 90V and the 6.7 peak at approximately 50V.  The 5.9 runs a lower current and the 6.7 runs a higher current.  This correct?

I’m curious if the injector solenoids for the 6.7 have the insulation to withstand the higher peak voltages the 5.9 ecm puts out and not have insulation breakdown or if they can’t withstand the higher peak voltages and run on borrowed time. 

Hi

both have a staged current profile and are using boost voltages to reach the current target values fast.

The 5.9l injectors are driven with a 2-stage current profile 18.5A is the pull current and 13.5A the hold current

6.7l injectors have 3-stages, a peak at the beginning of 25A a pull current of 15A and a hold current of 11A.

The solenoid of the 6.7l injector is developed to generate higher forces to save money for amplifiers in the ECU.

You will not damage the 6.7l solenoid using the 5.9l ECU.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Martin.  So at most really the 6.7 injectors being run off the 5.9 ecm they will just be slightly slow to react when commanded to open. 

Yes that is correct... but the difference will be very little. And as the injection quantities from the 6.7l injectors are different to the 5.9l injectors anyway  that will not really make a difference for you.

• Thanks 1

Yea the flow characteristics between the 6.7 injector and the 5.9 injector is quite a bit different.  Much more noticeable as rail pressure goes up.  I set my duration table to that of the 2008 model year but forecasted in excel to the axis values used in the 2005 year.  Really cleaned things up.  Still needs lots of tweaking though.  I was a bit concerned on how long either the injector solenoids or injector drivers would really last being mismatched but with what you stated, I’m not too concerned about it anymore.