I guess the biggest thing is, is a mm3 fully undetectable if you leave emissions in tact?  I just got an '18 with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty I don't want to void. Owner of the dealership said the new trucks automatically send out to Detroit if they've ever been tuned or deleted once the truck hits the shops wifi... 😱

Heck yeah! Congrats on the '18 Adam!

When you place the 13 + trucks back to stock, that locks the gateway. Undetectable? That could depend on how much work they want to do to determine if the new truck has been tuned.  How determined are they?

The owner of that dealership sounds like he is telling a story.  Automatically sending messages to Detroit or Italy? Where is the BS flag smiley? 🙂

• Like 1

I'm not sure, because on the side he sells tuners and aftermarket parts. Why would he make sure to tell me to leave it stock for warranty if he could make more $? I know the '18 have a little tattle tell black box for accidents and such that records speed and if the vehicle was braking or whatever.  

There are flash counters in the ECM that say if the ecm has been reprogrammed.  dimes to dollars the dealer will look at that for any warranty work regarding the drivetrain.  

• Thanks 1

Have you checked what the flash count is, before programming an 18 and after setting it back to stock?

Paul

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, paulb said:

Have you checked what the flash count is, before programming an 18 and after setting it back to stock?

Paul

I've never tuned my '18. I wanted to see if anyone has tested how discoverable tuning is on these brand new trucks. According to my dealer if the trucks in their shop and they work on it, that it's unavoidable that ram knows it's been tuned or deleted and returned to stock.  Has anyone tuned a '18 and taken it into the dealer for warranty work?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, paulb said:

Paul

I have not,   I am not sure if the touch will revert the flash counter or not.  I kinda doubt it does, but the SPK FAQ's say that 6.7l tunes leave a footprint so I am forced to say if the OP doesn't want to leave a foot print then he should leave it stock.  

Edited by me78459

11 hours ago, me78459 said:

I have not,   I am not sure if the touch will revert the flash counter or not.  I kinda doubt it does, but the SPK FAQ's say that 6.7l tunes leave a footprint so I am forced to say if the OP doesn't want to leave a foot print then he should leave it stock.  

😢, Stock is boring, but a 5yr 100k bumper to bumper warranty is not something I want to void.

I am in the same boat.  I have a 18 coming.  I would like to mess around with tuning but the warranty issues are not worth it.  After the warranty is up I will likely be getting a touch as well.

• Like 1

You guys have way more self control than I do. 😄

The new trucks do have a lot more power then the old trucks did stock. Stock on a VP truck, for example, really sucked! I will admit, though, that after having tuned my 14, I hate running it stock. Even on just a 100hp tune, how I have the power curve setup, makes it drive completely different. Tuning the transmission to match the power delivery also makes a big difference. I've spent a lot more time playing with the transmission tuning, than with the engine tuning. The amount of adjustability on the new trucks far exceeds what was available on the older trucks. I now have just a few miles short of 100,000 miles, and I don't remember exactly when I first tuned it, but it was before it's first oil change. Other than tuning the truck is still completely stock.

My local dealer knows what I have done to all my trucks. I don't try to hide it. My 02 and 05 have Touch's in them, and my 14 has an MM3. I don't take them out if they go to the dealer.  I would never ask them to warranty a problem I caused. They have never refused to warranty something that I didn't cause. That would be up to the dealer though. We've all heard the horror stories about some dealers.

The 18's are great trucks. I'm sure you will enjoy them not matter what you decide.

Paul

• Like 2

Aren’t the dealers required by law to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any failure that falls within the warranty scope WAS directly caused by the tuning device itself???

Is it really worth the risk when you consider the truck is worth ~%40 of what my house is?     I dont want to argue with the dealer about a possible warranty issue because I have tuning.  🙂 feel free to go down that path if you like, but I will wait.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 11:17 PM, me78459 said:

Is it really worth the risk when you consider the truck is worth ~%40 of what my house is?     I dont want to argue with the dealer about a possible warranty issue because I have tuning.  🙂 feel free to go down that path if you like, but I will wait.

I hear you there, that's what I think. The dang sticker on my truck was 68,800. So the fear of losing the warranty on that truck is 😬.