Olliethegoalie

My truck shakes now...?

Hello, I'm new all this tuning etc, so bare with me! I just had my truck deleted, exhaust done, and tuned with an S67ME. The place that installed it set it on sw3 at my request as I have not upgraded the auto trans or done head studs etc. Anyway, now the truck shakes when I'm idling down the road. It's hard to explain, but it's kind of like driving a manual trans in a gear that is too high for the speed you're doing. Only thing is, this is happening at hiway speeds. It will do it at any speed really, but it's most noticeable in the 70-100 km/hr area. If I step on the throttle or let off when this happens, the shake stops. Also when I get into lower speed zones, I've used the manual function and dropped the truck back a gear to raise the rpm's and that seems to help. I took it back to the place I had the work done, and their "fix" was to set it back to sw2. This stopped the shake more or less, but I hated the way it was running, and I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be running that added power without the additional timing? I put it back to sw3 and of course, the shake returned. I'm just not sure what is causing this, and I would hate to be doing damage to my truck! Not to mention it's very annoying since the majority of my driving is on the hiway!

So my question is what should I do? Is this a timing issue? Is it a torque setting issue? I've noticed that the trans shifts a lot sooner now on the sw3 setting so I'm running at lower rpm's at all speeds than I was when the truck was stock. Would I have better luck putting it on sw5 and then dialing back the PoD? I'm pretty sure everything is on the default settings with the sw3 set. Like I said, I'm very new to all this, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The majority of my driving is hiway, so I'm more looking for better mpg's, and I tow a 6000lb trailer in the summer so any tuning ideas for that would be appreciated also! My truck info is below. Thanks!!

Interesting. I would run with timing 4 as that is the greatest. You are correct that you can use SW 5 and dial back with PoD.

Now on to your shaking! Idling down the road? What rpm? Hard to diagnose over the net. Were the "changes" you close to make performed properly by the guys who did the changing?

How does using tow/haul effect this issue?

Which codes do you have?

Thank you!

By idling down the road I just mean normal cruising, at 100-110 km/hr the rpm's are between 1650-1800 .

The guys at the diesel shop I had the work done seem to think they did all the deletes properly, and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell if they did or not. They removed the entire exhaust and replaced it with a turbo back kit, and they removed the egr cooler and valve so everything is gone.

I haven't used the tow/haul as I've put my trailer away for the winter already, but I guess I could give it a try and see what happens. I would think driving with that on would have a negative affect on the better gas mileage I'm attempting to try and get though. The truck isn't giving me any error codes or anything like that.

I might try changing that timing setting to 4 tonight as you mentioned, I've heard that from a few guys now as well. I've also been told that it might have something to do with the ME version I'm using? I'm not sure which one I'm actually using as they just programmed it at the place I had the work done and I don't have the program myself. I was told that 23ME seems to work the best, any thoughts? Like I said, I'm new to all this, so anything is helpful!

Thanks for getting back to me!

If you look real quick when plugging Smarty in, you will be able to view the version on the window.

I would try loading up SW3 Timing default, Torque 1, Rail Pressure 1 and see how it drives. If it still shakes then leave torque and rail pressure at 1 and take timing to 3.

Ok, so I changed the timing to #4, and it softened the shake a bit, but for sure didn't cure it. I tried using the tow/haul for a bit, and that didn't change anything. It feels like it's the torque converter that is causing the shaking, but I can't figure out why? Also, when I set the cruise control the shake stops instantly. That's all great, however it's now winter and the roads around here are icy half the time so the cruise doesn't get used much. Any thoughts on why the cruise would make any difference over my foot?? I'm going to go plug the programmer in right now and see what version is running too.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I checked the for the version when I plugged in the programmer in and this is what I got

V:6.19B D:TM01E

I'm not sure if that has anything to so with my ME files for the deletes or what? I was never given the delete files, it was just something the performance shop has on file at their shop as we can't get them out of the U.S. anymore.

Brian, what do you think about the setting adjustments that AH64ID mentioned above? My next move was going to probably be the Torque setting anyway, but I'm a little hesitant about messing with fuel pressures.

Ollie, DTM happens to be a TNT version or the "foreign" SW.

I would not hesitate to try Johns "AH64ID" recommendation of settings.

Please keep us posted!

Brian

Is this TNT version an older/out of date version? Is there a different version I should be running? I've been trying to get a hold of the guys that did my install but they haven't got back to me yet. I found that they didn't unplug my throttle valve when they did the deletes, but I'm not sure if they did that for a reason or not. Some guys are saying that needs to be done, some say it doesn't, I don't know?? In theory with the egr gone, that throttle valve should just be wide open at all times so I can't see why it would matter?

Any thoughts on why setting the cruise control would stop the shudder?

The cruise control stopping the issue is interesting. One needs to contemplate that one.

As to the throttle valve, I am not in a position to where I can make a comment confirming that is correct for that year of truck.

As to the TNT, basically it is more of a race/performance tune intended for non US trucks.

Unplugging the throttle valve did nothing as I expected. Without the egr it should run wide open at all times if it's plugged in or not. I guess now I try adjusting the torque settings and rail pressure. I finally got to talk to the guy that did my install and he said the version he put in is just what they use on all trucks like mine now because they can't get any more updated files because of the new emissions laws. Anyway, I'll play some more and get back to you!

Thank you!

As to the TV, one must do properly if one is going to choose to make such changes to ones truck. I am not able to comment.

I would follow John's recommendations on those settings.

Can't wait to here the results.

Happy Thanksgiving Ollie!

Swing and a miss! I tried all of the settings that John mentioned and nothing worked. Just to see, I turned everything back to stock settings and sure enough the shaking stopped. However, then all the DTC come in and that basically defeats the whole purpose of the upgrades I paid for! So now I've got the performance shop trying to find me a different program to run. I still can't figure out the cruise control fixing it either? Hopefully they find something, this is getting a bit frustrating!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a version of the program for my truck that might be better than the current one I'm running? I understand if you can't answer that. I'm grasping at this point!

Jim can help in ways that I can't. Ya know? You are thinking the right direction. Each truck is a unique individual. Some tunes work better on different trucks..

By changing you will rule out a software issue.

Thank you!

I also have access to all of the tunes for both the S67 and J67 from the first to the latest. PM me if you need help finding one.

hogman, would you be so kind as to ZIP and email me the most recent version of both the S67 and J67 ME tunes that you have?

Please send them to jespag@msn.com Thank you in advance, Jess

I found a new tune file for my S67 and the truck is running much better now. I'm running 28ME on SW3 now which has stopped the shudder, but the power seems a lot less than with the old TNT tune on SW3. Roads are pretty icy around here now, so maybe it's not such a bad thing!

One other question while I'm thinking of it...

On the papers that came in the box with my programmer, the Injection Timing goes like this: #0-Default, #1-Stock, #2-Aggressive, #3-Moderate, #4-Mild dated 09-13-2012.

On the Smarty website it goes: MY2007-2009 #0-Default, #1-Stock, #2-Moderate, #3-Mild, #4-Aggressive then there's a column for MY 2010 and above that looks the same a my papers dated 10-30-2012.

My papers have no columns or dates, so I'm just wondering which one do I believe? The one that came in the box with my programmer, or the one on the website? Everything else is the same on my papers and the website for everything else regarding Torque Management and Rail Pressure etc.

Thanks for all your help and comments guys, I really appreciate it!!

Follow the guidance on the mads site re timing settings per the truck MY.

The 3rd gen settings are different from the 4th gens.

Glad you got your tune issue sorted, as brian said the tnt tune is for a race truck (with multiple mods) not a stock truck.

Yes sir, some confusion on those timing levels. On YOUR year, 07.5-09 it is timing 4 which is greatest. Timing 2 is "default' still so you would need to set to timing 4.

The 5.9's and the 10-12s have timing 2 as greatest and default.