Sharky3

Couple of Q's

The kit comes with the K type thermocouple, the leads and the electronic connection box. One can simply utilize the existing probe if one desires.

Hello Brian

I had a question on updating the smarty touch do we need to take the other files off the SD card or add them to the existing files already on the card just kinda confused on exactly how to do it just do not want to mess anything up if you could clarify this for me that would be great I am probably making it harder than it is thanks charles

Hi Charles!

Simply add those on.

Un-compress the file and copy its contents to the root of the SD card and insert it back into the SMARTY Touch.

Then the easiest ways to update the Smarty Touch system are these: 1) Restart the monitor by unplugging the micro USB cable and then reconnect it. At this point the update procedure will start automatically. 2) It is always possible to use the manual update feature in the config tools menu. (“Firmware Update”).

Hello Brian

I have another question when you have stock 1,2 and 3 is stock the default for that program or software level or is it actually the same as a stock truck thanks charles

Good morning Rick!

Over the "Stock" Setting, 1 is lowest and 3 is highest.

One would wish to experiment with PoD. I would start at PoD 85 and adjust from their to whatever PoD setting you find comfortable.

Thank you!

So is "stock" default for the software # selected or is it like a stock truck like software #3 shows catcher with timing if I were to select "stock" does that mean I have stock truck timing no added timing or is it "stock" or default for that software#

Thanks charles

Hi Charles! Actually default = 1. The parameter settings is Stock, 1, 2, and 3. I normally choose my SW level and choose Timing 3 for the Greatest Timing. I use 1 for RP. And the TQ depends on how and where and when I want to drive my truck.

Thank you Charles!

Hi Charles! Actually default = 1. The parameter settings is Stock, 1, 2, and 3. I normally choose my SW level and choose Timing 3 for the Greatest Timing. I use 1 for RP. And the TQ depends on how and where and when I want to drive my truck.

Thank you Charles!

Thank you for clarifying that for me just trying to get used to this smarty I am new to the common rail injection I also have a 01 vp44 truck that I have an s-03 on and it seems that this smarty touch on my 06 does not come alive as quick as the S-03 on my 01 but I guess I need to play with it a little more also do we have to use the revo or can I use standard tuning like on the S-03? Thank you so much for the information so far I really like the smarty products

Thanks charles

If you play with those settings I believe you will be posting to us that your 06 has way more instantaneous "Go" than your VP with the S-03. TQ on 3 and a higher setting. On the common rail trucks you have the REVO software as standard. Want more? Try the TNT-r which is a "no charge" upgrade for serious power. Of course one would benefit by having a good built trans and supporting mods to utilize all the power that the TNT-r affords.

Thank you Charles!

Brian

Good morning!

Indeed, just like all of our Smartys, Touch can read codes. From the menu find "Read DTC Codes"! Read then clear.

Thank you!

Brian-

how can i down load TNT-r??

Hi Rick!

Simply call our office and we will get you that upgrade free of charge.

Thank you!

T

If you play with those settings I believe you will be posting to us that your 06 has way more instantaneous "Go" than your VP with the S-03. TQ on 3 and a higher setting. On the common rail trucks you have the REVO software as standard. Want more? Try the TNT-r which is a "no charge" upgrade for serious power. Of course one would benefit by having a good built trans and supporting mods to utilize all the power that the TNT-r affords.

Thank you Charles!

Brian

Thank you for all the great information you were correct I played with the settings a little and all I can say is wow I think I can see udc in my future of course after built transmission I love it so far thanks keep us informed on updates

Hello Brian,

So I am using SW5 as a DD and will probably load SW3 when towing my 10K fifth wheel.  * Re-manufactured Trans with triple TQ *.

First question: Instead of loading SW3 each time I tow, would you recommend using SW5 but just setting POD to some lower number (say 75) to attempt achieve the same results? 

Second question: You publish the HP increase with the SW 1-9.  Can you provide the torque estimates as well for each SW? 

Robert

Hi Robert,

Indeed utilizing PoD to turn it down would help you reach that goal. Experiment with various PoD settings to get to the range you desire.

With our trucks, you can usually figure that adding 100 hp will add approximately 200 lb ft tq.

Thank you!

On 8/31/2017 at 11:58 AM, Robert said:

Hello Brian,

So I am using SW5 as a DD and will probably load SW3 when towing my 10K fifth wheel.  * Re-manufactured Trans with triple TQ *.

First question: Instead of loading SW3 each time I tow, would you recommend using SW5 but just setting POD to some lower number (say 75) to attempt achieve the same results? 

Robert,

PoD deals more the throttle position sensor so I wouldn't recommend using it to detune for towing. I have dyno'd with PoD and at PoD 65 all the hp/tq was available thru around 2300 rpms but then the truck fell on it's face. This could be problematic for towing up a grade. 

Additionally the effect on the throttle position sensor will have an effect on the trans shifting, so it can really delay the shifts. 

With manual trans trucks I have seen good results for street driving with PoD down to about 80-85, and with auto's PoD 90 is as low as I reccommend or the shifting gets noticeably delayed. 

My 0.02 would be to retune to SW3 for towing something as heavy as 10K lbs. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2014 at 10:29 AM, Brian said:

You are correct with your assessment of PoD.

If driven in a reasonable way, SW 7 would be the choice for mpg. Your parameter settings of timing 3. rp 2. and tq 1 is the most efficient.

Experiment by changing rp to 1. Then try lowering timing if that rattle still persists!

Thank you!

Hi Brian-

I have had my 05 CR with smarty touch for about 6 months. I love this truck! First deisel from a long time car guy!

I bought it set up with 4 inch diamond eye turbo back., Smarty touch, single disk TC and BD valve body, and what I was told were BBI 90hp injectors. Air Dog 150. Stock Filter still in place. I am getting a bit of cold injector rattle. Seems to level out when it gets warm. Does smoke a bit when under load locked up. I am running SW 3, TQ 1, RP 1, TM 1. I am getting about 12 mpg unloaded city driving. My questions are-

-Just to know should I pull an injector to confirm BBI's? (How do I reference?)

-What would a safe (reasonably driving) setting be for my setup for fuel economy?

-I tow up to 10,000 pounds monthly. What would be a safe setting for towing? I've had work done at Source automotive on OR and I was told SW 3 max for towing.

Sorry if I high jacked a thread but you all were talking about the settings discussion I have been looking for.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Good morning MR. Sanchez!

If you would like, we would be able to check out your injectors and see what you actually have, or do not have and investigate them to determine if an issue exists. We can work out details and exchange contact information though the private message system if you would like.

MPG, driving reasonable,  for me personally, SW 9 with "Greatest" timing.

SW 3 is a good safe place to be for towing that will allow for a good margin of safety.

I will watch for your PM. Thank you much!

Brian

Hi Justin,

No need to  pull an injector to determine. Just pull the valve cover and get the numbers off the top of the injectors which will be enough for Martin to determine if they are BBi's or not.

Thank you!