Sharky3

Couple of Q's

1st: When is an actual user guide / installation guide going to be available for the Smarty Touch? I thought it odd there wasn't one in the package and one wasn't/isn't available on the site or when requested when I called.

2nd: I admit total ignorance of tuners...now that I have the Smarty Touch and the 'cool' gauges, I have no idea what the meaning of any of those gauges are. Partly because there's no user guide, but also general ignorance on my part of tuners. I can't find any explanations or guides on your site either. A helpful guide of the meaning of each (Boost PSI, EGT, RP-PSI, TP-%, MI-D, ES-RPM) and the relevance or goal for each would be helpful for the ignorant.

3rd: There is an update available from what is on my Smarty. I have the .1, now there is a .2 with minor changes. Is it critical to update it...and if so, how since again, there is no user guide to explain anything.

4th and Last: My truck is 100% stock. I was advised when I called to go to a max of the level 3 which I did. To progress further, what modifications do I need to make to accommodate the upper levels? In other words, what is the minimum modification to progress to a '5'...then to '7', etc. I plan to upgrade the air-intake and exhaust, but not sure what the parameters are for doing that...meaning, what are the minimum standards I need to aim for?

Thanks.

Good morning!

A quick guide is linked for you. http://smartyresource.com/downloads/SMARTY_Touch_QuickGuide.pdf

A more in depth guide is almost ready to be published soon. http://smartyresource.com/smartyupdate.aspx

That update that came out just last week is one to take care of minor adjustments. The other released software pertains to UDC Custom Tuning.

As for recommendation of SW levels, SW 3 is what we recommend for a stock auto trans, and SW 5 for a manual with stock clutch. Higher levels one would need to be concerned with air, fuel supply, etc. Certainly utilize your pyrometer on higher SW levels.

Thank you!

Thanks, but that doesn't answer much of what I asked. I had the quickguide which isn't a guide really...just a label of some of the screen navigation.

I already have it set at 3 for stock automatic...got that from calling yesterday since there was no manual and nothing was in the 'quickguide' about that ... or about setting it up at all.

I don't know the meaning of the gauges on the 'pryometer'...that was the purpose for my questions...so telling me to utilize my pyrometer for higher SW settings isn't answering my questions.

I wanted more detail on what mods to make to move to higher levels and what the meaning is of the gauge readings...I don't even know what the abbreviations stand for. Saying 'one would need to be 'concerned with air, fuel supply, etc.', to achieve higher levels isn't the specificity I'm looking for.

please re-read my original post. if there is a resource site more comprehensive than the resource site for Smarty that you directed me to...please forward that. I think Smarty's site is for seasoned 'veterans' ... not for novices.

How all do you use this truck? What is your power goal? Also, I do not see what year model the truck is.

Please let me know that and I will go into a greater detail of discussion.

Thank you Sharkey!

I thought the truck was associated with my profile and that it would show. Sorry. It's a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 325HP.

I do some towing, but not often these days. Mostly I'm doing highway miles with no load. My goal is to achieve better gas mileage. Mine sucks. My previous trucks and friends with bigger trucks like the Mega Cab get 20-22 mpg. I get 13 to 14.5 with no load.

I'm trying to increase it by 5 mpg overall starting with the tuner and going from there to hopefully ad 1mpg here and there. My next step is air intake, next exhaust...not sure where to go after that.

I do use additives in the fuel and the fuel filter is changed every 10k. truck runs great...always has. a lot smoother with the add of the tuner though I've only had it a day. i'll be putting about 1500 miles on it this week, so i'll see if theres an mpg bump.

For sure, when one is not towing one can get away with a higher SW level. When using a stock auto trans, one must use caution. I have been known to use SW 7 on a trip on a truck with a stock trans as long as I am not towing. The higher tunes produce the best mpg. There are habits one must use to gain longer trans life. Avoid "getting on it" at low rpm in a higher gear. Shift down manually before it is necessary! Keep rpm at a happy place for the engine and trans. I usually try to cruise above 1800 rpm. Lower rpm is more stress on the trans.

An example on one of my dually trucks(07), with a stock tune it it seemed to get 12 mpg more often than not, and up to 14 mpg. That was empty. After tuning to SW 7, and this is the TNT-r race software, it was getting an amazing 12 mpg with a car trailer and a 3rd gen on it. Empty it was up to 19 mpg. This truck had the Source Automotive trans so that was not a worry but it had a stock turbo. However with my driving habits I had no temp issues. With your Smarty tuning on SW 5, you will actually find your EGT to be running cooler than it will stock. However on the higher tunes, one would expect higher temps on the pyrometer. Now you inquired a bout the pyrometer. Obviously you would install the pyro probe in the exhaust manifold for accuracy. You would try to keep that value less than the magic number of 1350 degrees. One can go above that value for a short duration if needed. For example, I do not like to be above 1200 degrees for very long actually.

Glad to hear of your decent fuel filter change interval. For me it is also in the 8k to 10k range. Additives for me is Stanadyne.

Back to software levels. Let me add that I recommend the default setting for timing. Most efficient! One could use setting 1 for TQ to aid the trans. Rail pressure could be left at the default setting. For your use I would use the REVO software vs the TNT-r race software. Me personally if I had a stock 04.5 driving empty! I would use SW 7, TQ 1, and default everything else. And I would drive with the trans in mind and MPG in mind. That is what "I" personally would do. At least when driving empty.

One thing I would like to recommend is an aftermarket lift pump to supply more fuel. With this you have enough supply to push fuel thru additional filters which would give you 2 micron filtration. This is very important for the common rail injectors. FASS is an example of a lift pump one would consider going with.

Now acronyms and abbreviations are common for us Cummins fanatics to describe various items regarding our trucks. Indeed, confusing for those who are new to the hobby. This link will take you to the page with PIDs specific to your 04.5 Cummins. http://smartyresource.com/pids045.aspx Let me know if this helps answer some questions in that regard!

Hi Rick!

How?

The background is just one file: SD Root\CONFIG\h_bkg.bmp with the following format 480x272 24bit.

Just replace it with the image you’ll like to see restart the touch screen device by unplugging the USB cable, or restart after a standby, and that’s it.

So the new touch can do these out of the box as of right now?

EGT

fuel rail psi

fuel from lift pump to injector pump psi

trans temp

boost

I think thats all I need.(?)

I keep reading it doesn't do x volt senders... I don't know what a standard EGT is...

I have a some questions to add.

1. I was watching YouTube, can the annoying beeping be turned off when the unit is turned on?

2. In the future will it be possible to add sensors my truck does not support for example, adding transmission temp, lift pump pressure.

3. What is the difference between egt internal and egt external in the supported pid list? I know the egt sensor has to be added.

1) Yes. Just enable or disable the one that you prefer! To configure them, just navigate to menu point “Audio” under “Config tools” menu point.

2) Indeed, these sensors are planned in the very near future to be offered.

3) Internal sensor temperature is the temperature that our EGT sensor has, external sensor temperature is the temperature read from the K-Type thermocouple connected to the EGT sensor.

Thank you!

OK, I absolutely love the touch, it's a crowd gathering iteam when I'm hanging with the Cummins guys. Here is my problem love the power of setting 7 but fuel mileage is in the trash

Can you suggest a good happy medium.

Good morning Rick!

Fuel mileage should increase on SW 7. One must be certain to have the timing set on the "greatest" setting and I would suggest TQ setting "stock".

And don't go having too much fun with the extra power! Drive in an economical manner and don't use all the extra fueling available! The efficient tuning will for certain help with economy if driven in a reasonable manner.

Thank you!

One is the lowest Smarty setting and 3 the highest. PoD setting is a personal preference. 1 is the full power PoD setting. Any number less turns it down. You can start with 90 and experiment from there turning it down in small increments.

Brian, your last comment is causing me some confusion. You said 1 is full power POD setting? I a under the impression that POD set to 99 was full power and turning it down from there would decrease power on any catcher level? Am I thinking correctly here or do I have it backwards?

I also have a question of my own. I am completely new to smarty tuning in my personal truck. I initially installed SW#5 and left all levels on default and after some reading I set RP-2, Timing-3, and TQ-1 and have been running that for about a week, I am a little concerned with the increased injector rattle that I have incurred by setting the timing to 3.

I am going to bump up to SW#7 tomorrow to see how I like it. What should I have RP, Timing, and TQ set at or should leave them set to default levels? My truck is a 6 speed manual and is 100% stock other than the smarty touch. I just want smooth power and an increase in mileage. I've heard most people say that they see their best mileage gains on SW#7 as long as they can keep there foot out of the fun pedal, which is why I am wanting to try it.

What is your suggestion for SW# and RP, Timing, TQ levels to be the safest and smoothest with the best mix of power and mileage for daily driving?

Edited by vgoodson91

You are correct with your assessment of PoD.

If driven in a reasonable way, SW 7 would be the choice for mpg. Your parameter settings of timing 3. rp 2. and tq 1 is the most efficient.

Experiment by changing rp to 1. Then try lowering timing if that rattle still persists!

Thank you!