enaudc

Grid heater light came on

Installed my Smarty JR and set it to SW1 for a week then set it to SW2 and pulled my 8k lb camper about 500 miles to Colorado. Drove around Colorado for a few days in SW2 with no problems. Then we drove up to 10,000 ft and the grid heater light came on. Truck ran fine just the light and no loss in volts, heater not on. Shut the truck off then back on and the light remained on. Hooked up the Smarty JR and put the truck back to stock, started the engine and the light didn't come on. Drove back home 500 miles pulling the camper no light issues. Got any ideas, read a couple posts on Cummins Forum and people did mention something about Smarty. Picture is of my Smarty JR. Thanks

2006 2500, bone stock 125k miles automatic

smarty.jpg

Good morning!

The latest Chrysler software is equipped with a warning alert to let you know you are having a fueling system issue. Smarty incorporates the latest Chrysler software in it's programming. This is a great feature to let you know that you have an issue before it causes more problems that will cause you great expense.

Here is some information that will explain: http://smartyresource.net/forum/showthread.php?136-Wait-to-Start-light-Guide

Thank you!

Brian

YGM. I sent you a copy of the Chrysler TSB as an attachment.

Thank you!

Brian

So sounds like taking the ECM back to stock had nothing to do with the light going out. Also, make sure I have the right, when I program my truck with the Smarty JR. it automatically updates the software that would be done by the dealer performing the TSB? If I take the ECM back to stock does it remove the updated software out of the ECM and take it back to the previous version? Also, sounds like I might have a code loaded. Not related but screen shots in my printed directions for my Smarty JR don't match the screen on the Smarty JR.

Thanks

DC

Hi DC!

When you put Smarty back to stock your ecm still has the revised Chrysler software which has the fuel system warning feature.

If you want that feature removed it would be possible by having a recovery software file built which is specific to your truck. You can pm me with needed information but I would advise fixing your fuel system issue.

Thank you!

Brian

I suggest checking your fuel filter... I read somewhere that this light can come on due to outrunning your fuel supply also... This has happened to me on hard tows just as you hit the peak and come off the fuel for some reason. I dialed back the rail pressure and so far so good. Smarty Jr doesn't do RP, but does add duration for more fuel flow than stock which could be impeded by a bad filter. If that doesn't work, injector/cp3 return flow test is in order.

This just came to me, but it could also be a "hammer" effect caused by massive fuel flow and then coming off it real fast causing the relief valve to pop for a second.