What happens if a person was to use a smart jr on a 2012 2500 that lives in California.

From all my research this is the best tuner for my truck . Can I use and then take off when I need to smog.

Good morning!

Smarty is EPA approved in 49 states. Only exclusion is California, as we do not have an EO # for California.

Thank you!

Good morning!

Smarty is EPA approved in 49 states. Only exclusion is California, as we do not have an EO # for California.

Thank you!

Do you think it would be ok to take it on and off when I need to smog

Good morning!

I would suggest that you follow the rules of your state. Details on CA. rules I have not studied up on so I am not qualified to discuss specifics. Rules are way different there from where I am in NW Oregon.

Your Smarty is designed with clean and efficient tuning installed. It is also designed to change tunes easily or put back to stock easily depending on what the owner of the truck wishes to do with his truck. Here is a guide for you that will help in changing SW's. http://smartyresource.com/downloads/manuals/SmartyJR67UserGuide.pdf

Hope this is a help.

Thank you!

On 7/10/2015 at 5:02 PM, Kaptain kangaroo said:

Do you think it would be ok to take it on and off when I need to smog

KK,

You can either take it off or set it to program 0 when you smog test it.  I test mine here in AZ every year and

it passes with %0 opacity reading, never fails on program 0.

Mick

Posted (edited)

The Smarty isn't approved here in Kalyforrnya so it isn't legal to tune with it here.

With that said;

If all you're doing is loading an emissions legal tune then you could return it to stock about a month prior to testing (enough time to reset the I/M's).

Once you pass you reload your tune and enjoy it for another 23 months.

Kalyforrnya doesn't test for opacity so it doesn't matter how clean you run. It's all about satisfying the I/M's and having all the equipment on the truck.

Edited by xcc_rider

19 hours ago, xcc_rider said:

The Smarty isn't approved here in Kalyforrnya so it isn't legal to tune with it here.

With that said;

If all you're doing is loading an emissions legal tune then you could return it to stock about a month prior to testing (enough time to reset the I/M's).

Once you pass you reload your tune and enjoy it for another 23 months.

Kalyforrnya doesn't test for opacity so it doesn't matter how clean you run. It's all about satisfying the I/M's and having all the equipment on the truck.

Sorry Kc,

i WAS thinking about America, not Kalifornica, I have no emission equipment on my 2001.5 5.9 24Valve DEE HO truck,

Mick

There is a visual smoke test in California but it's subjective to the guy doing the test.

Just set your truck back to stock before the test with enough time for the truck to complete the readiness monitors.  You can check those with an obd scanner, which is a good idea anyway before you smog.  You might have a pending code that hasn't tripped the MIL yet that would cause you to fail smog.  A quick obd scan before the test would save you $40 in that case.

• Thanks 1