Ed's 5.9

tuning safety pointers please

Hello, I am still very new to smarty products so I have been exploring the different settings and parameters on my smarty touch. I have noticed a lot of different results in smoke, power, sound etc. My question is, is there some way to confirm the safety of a tune thats not based on sound, smoke or the power felt at the seat of your pants ? As I mentioned before I'm new to all of this and I dont want to rely on just my judgement of weather a specific tune "feels" safe or not. To be a little more specific my main concern is timing and long term engine reliability. Thank you for your time.

Good morning Ed!

To be safe, one should monitor their gauges especially EGT.

We tell folks that SW 3 is safe for a stock auto trans and SW 5 is safe for a manual with a stock clutch.

SW 5 with timing @ greatest actually offers lower egt than stock.

Long term engine reliability? That is influenced by the right foot. One can use a higher SW if one controls the right foot. Also one needs to know which other modifications the truck has to be able to recommend the highest reliable tune.

Thank you!

Good morning Ed!

To be safe, one should monitor their gauges especially EGT.

We tell folks that SW 3 is safe for a stock auto trans and SW 5 is safe for a manual with a stock clutch.

SW 5 with timing @ greatest actually offers lower egt than stock.

Long term engine reliability? That is influenced by the right foot. One can use a higher SW if one controls the right foot. Also one needs to know which other modifications the truck has to be able to recommend the highest reliable tune.

Thank you!

Thank you for the response, to be honest I cant even remember what stock egt's where since the truck hasn't been completely stock for almost 3 yrs now. Searched online for what "safe" egt's would be but I seem to be coming up with several different answers so I guess the next question is what are considered safe egt's ? I know the melting temp for aluminum is 1220*f but I am not sure if cummins aluminum components are actually aluminum or aluminum alloys that may vary in melting points. There is also the debate of how long would you have to hold the temp before aluminum actually starts to melt?

As for recommending a safe options based on mods that would be highly appreciated! Current mods are as listed:

-Full Goerend Transmission w/Billet input shaft, levers, flex plate and triple disc clutch

-Borge warner 63/68/14 turbo "screaming eagle"

-AFE Mega canon Air Filter and tube.

-Wilson manifolds thrasher intake horn/Heater grid delete

-ARP Head Bolts

-4" mbrp turbo back exhaust (catless)

-Airdog 150 Fuel pump (OEM fuel Filter Delete)

-"150hp" injector nozzles w/OEM fuel injector tubes update

Those are all the major Performance upgrades I can think of :think:

Being that I live in South Miami there are times that aggressive right foot action is necessary in order to do some evasive maneuvers :smart::lmao2: so I currently have POD set to 85 as a safety buffer but I am open to any other recommendations that would help in this department as well.

Glad you are well set up Ed. You would have no issues trying SW 7 with that setup.

One can figure 1350* for a few seconds at a time. 1250* for longer durations like climbing a hill.

Thanks I'll give sw7 a try, do the following settings make sense as a good starting point ? Fuel-stock, timing-1, torque-1 and are there any warning signs I should be looking for in regards to engine sounds and exhaust smoke ?

Excellent Ed!

Those settings sound great. I would not expect excess sounds nor abnormal smoke display.

Last question, is there a way to view (graphically) the effect that different software options and settings are making to the engine ? I am not looking to edit anything I just want to view the effects that the options and settings make in a graph or chart of some sort.

At some point I would like to upgrade and get the udc dongle but I think it will make more sense to get as much technical knowledge on how the available tunes on the smarty touch work and effect the engine before going any further.