jacques357

Tune advice...please

I have a 2001 5.9 with the following mods; VP44 Hot Rod injection pump, Bosch stage 2 injectors, FAAS 150 GPH lift system, AFE intake horn, Holset Cheetah 63 mm turbo, and the Araid cold air intake. I've tried every tune on this Smarty S2G and I can't say that I'm impressed. I'm getting plenty of fuel (EGT's regularly hitting 1200 or greater), my mileage has dropped significantly (from 19 to 14 MPG), and I look like a friggin volcano. While this comes in handy for passing a Prius it ain't doing me much good anywhere else. I'm about to upgrade the exhaust to a straight 4" in the hopes that backpressure is keeping me from getting much more than 30 lbs of boost (waste gate set for 43 lbs), in the mean time can anyone suggest a pre-loaded tune that would work for me? Or possibly is there a tune I can download and try? I'm relatively new to the diesel hot rod stuff and am rapidly losing hope. Please feel free to point out my stupidity if there's something I've done wrong on this build, or if there's something else I need to do. I'd like to avoid the dyno/programmer fees if at all possible.

Good morning! My 02 with stock injectors and turbo I like to use SW 7. I have no smoke issues and get magnificent fuel mileage. To reduce smoke use TQ 1.

1998.5-2002 5.9L

Torque

The Torque selection can be programmed with a value between 1 (low) and 5

(high).

Injection Timing

The Timing selection can be programmed, 1 (advanced), 2 (moderate) or 3

(greatest)

Injection Duration

The Duration selection can be programmed with a value between 1 (low) and 4

That certainly helps. Just having the torque and duration options explained a little bit helps a lot. I wish there was some clear documentation regarding these included with the programmer. All this being said, I'm assuming that the pre-programmed tunes advance in aggressiveness as the tune number advances? 1 being the least aggressive and 9 being the most? Like I said, I'm new to this.

How does the torque setting effect the lean/rich ratio?

How does advancing the timing effect the performance?

Will shorter injection duration increase mileage, especially in conjunction with advanced timing/higher torque options utilized as well?

I do appreciate any and all advice.

Indeed, 1 is least and 9 is most aggressive.

TQ dictates WHEN the power comes on. Highest TQ makes the power come on right now and aggressively.

Timing helps with power as well as mpg and lowers egt as well.

For the VP trucks SW 1 is the mpg level with timing only and a big amount at that with no duration added. SW 1 is not to be used for towing due to high cylinder temps and pressures.

I use SW 7 with timing at greatest.

Thank you!

Yes Sir!

Here are the guides for you.

http://smartyresource.com/Downloads/Manuals/SmartyTouchComprehensiveGuide.pdf

http://smartyresource.com/downloads/manuals/SmartyTouchAdjustoptions.pdf

1998.5-2002 5.9L

Torque

The Torque selection can be programmed with a value between 1 (low) and 5

(high).

Injection Timing

The Timing selection can be programmed, 1 (advanced), 2 (moderate) or 3

(greatest)

Injection Duration

The Duration selection can be programmed with a value between 1 (low) and 4

(high)

Speed Limiter

The speed limiter can be adjusted anywhere from 25 to 250 MPH in one MPH

steps.

Thank you!

Now that's what I'm talking about! I can't help but wonder why that documentation wasn't included with the programmer. This will help tremendously! Thanks again.