fhlh

new to s03 - Connection Errors

Hi everyone! Figured this would be the best place to post about my experiences with the S03 (Ver. 1.26C Data R1.2A) and my 2000 Cummins .

Went out to the truck once I received the S03 last Friday. I followed the directions and added Catcher #4 without any issues what-so-ever and was instantly enjoying the new found low RPM drivability. It's really nice!:thumbsup:

Drove the truck over the weekend on a 120mile round tripper. Was great! I really like the Smarty fueling down low and the TS MVP timing kicking in up top (above 2K). Truck drives sooo nice now.

So this morning, I figured, what the heck, let's try catcher #6 it's "mild" after all... I plug in the S03 and start the process. Get to the loading screen showing 0%, couple seconds pass I receive a Comm Error. Try again, S03 recognizes the failed attempt and is now wanting to revert to stock. I follow the prompts and get to loading screen 0%, couple seconds pass and receive Comm Error.... Lock doors and hop into EcoDiesel (yes, please make a tuner for he EcoDiesel) and go to work.

Do some quick investigation and read about disconnecting the batteries to 'reset' the PCM/ECM and try again.:cool3:

I come home this evening, disconnect the batteries, clean terminals and clamps and test battery voltage. Both are sitting a 12.5v which should be fine.

Reconnect batteries, plug in the so3 and whalla! back to stock! :winking:

Start truck, let it idle for about 5 minutes and check volts at terminals and I'm seeing 13.6v.. should be more? Not sure. I did have the alt. replaced last year, maybe it's just not getting the job done?? Anyway, I shut off truck, plug in S03 to try to get catcher #6 installed and wouldn't you know it, get to 0% status, couple seconds pass... Comm Error :mad0:

Disconnect Batts for about 1 min, reconnect batts, reconnect s03. S03 discovers the failed attempt, installs stock without issue.

So... instead of trying to flash the truck again to a catcher. I start it, let it run a few mins, shut it down and disconnect the batteries, wait a minute and reconnect batts. I connect the S03 and flash to catcher #4 and it has NO problems!! Flashes fine and I'm back in business :party:

Yes I wanted to try out catcher #6 tonight, but it was getting late and if #6 flashes and I don't like it, I don't want to go through the whole battery disconnect process again:doh:

Question: is this how these trucks flash?

You flash once and if you want to flash again, you must first disconnect batteries and flash... or is my PCM going out??? Voltage too low maybe? I do have an aftermarket amplifier and a FASS Titanium150. Should I disconnect these both before flashing? Is that even the issue since it flashes fine after a battery disconnect. Is voltage and 2 extra accessories really the issue here:confused3:

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

***I did NOT purchase this S03 new, it was purchased from a member at Cumminsforum.com

Good morning Jason! The ecm likes to see 12.6 volts right at the ecm. It is best to pull the fuse for the fass. Some trucks even the abs fuse is a good idea. If your amp is drawing power please disconnect that as well!

Was there a number code with that comm error?

Thank you!

Good morning Jason! The ecm likes to see 12.6 volts right at the ecm. It is best to pull the fuse for the fass. Some trucks even the abs fuse is a good idea. If your amp is drawing power please disconnect that as well!

Was there a number code with that comm error?

Thank you!

Thanks for the info on the voltage / ecm... I'll pull the amp fuse. it's a large class A/B amp so I'm sure the caps are pulling .2 or .3 when off

... ormaybe I should buy some 14v batteries :)

I can't recall if there is/was a code number. I will pay attention next time and report back.

Please note my response might be awhile since I'm not planning on trying to flash the truck anytime soon.

The Fass ended up being the problem with my reflash failing on the touch. Depending on how you have it wired, pulling the fuse may not be enough. You may have to pull the relay for the pump. Just the relay clicking on/off during the reflash was enough to make it fail. Maybe its time I finally cleaned my battery terminals...:lol2: