Darren

Smarty Touch setting for 2005 Cummins

I am hoping to get some help on the settings for my Smarty Touch and also learn something along the way. This is my first diesel and I am new to the tuner world so this is a little overwhelming. I have spent a lot of time reading through the forum but I am usually lost with all the new terminology and acronyms. I haven’t seen anything posted for newbies like myself to lean the lingo and basics off tuning so if someone could give some references I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a 2005 3500, automatic transmission, long bed, crew cab, dually, with 8,000 miles (Yes, 8,000 actual miles. The truck was put in storage for the last 10 years after the original owner had failing health). I have installed a K&N air filter (before I knew what I know now), Smarty EGT Sensor, and Smarty Touch. I plan to install 5” exhaust which will remove the catalytic converter but still keep a muffler.

My primary goal is to maximize my fuel economy. 80% of my driving will be unloaded with the remaining 20% loaded with a truck camper. With the camper loaded the total weight of the truck and camper range between 12,000lbs and 13,000lbs. I just came off a 3,000 mile trip with the camper and got about 9.5mpg on the interstate averaging 80mph. It did great in the Colorado Mountains with my best calculated on a fill up at 13.3mpg probably averaging 60mph. Here is a link of what the camper (boat sail) looks like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lance+2003+1130+truck+camper&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&oq=lance+2003+1130+truck+camper&gs_l=img.3...20343.21013.0.23728.5.5.0.0.0.0.110.374.4j1.5.0....0...1ac.1.34.img..5.0.0.taPsM9cHXYY

What would you recommend for my Smarty Touch settings? Also, do you have any other recommendations I may not be thinking about? Thanks in advance for your help and any educations you can provide. Here are the setting I am looking for:

Unloaded:

Power Level –

Rail Pressure –

Timing –

Torque –

Westgate –

Loaded with camper:

Power Level –

Rail Pressure –

Timing –

Torque –

Westgate –

Wow Darren! Congrats on finding that low mileage 05!

First I will say that for a stock auto we recommend SW 3 and for a Stock clutched manual we recommend SW 5. In addition to that I will mention that the highest software is the most fuel efficient. Also the "greatest" timing is the most efficient as well.

With my style of driving when going for the best MPG I have been known to turn it up higher and use my right foot carefully and I also drop down out of overdrive before I actually need to. Not knowing your driving habits it is hard to recommend a software. One would want to use the highest software that will not stress your trans with the driving habits you would be using. You would wish to have your timing on the "greatest" setting as well.

Thank you!

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions. Do you have any suggestions on the other settings such as Rail Pressure, Torque, and Westgate? Also, If I were to put the power setting to 3 would it be okay to put the timing on level 10?

One thing I’m confused about is in the Smarty Touch manual it states that #3 in the Power Level settings for 2003-2007 using the Standard Revo Software will add “60 Horsepower Increase; With timing”. How does the timing in the Power Level correlate to the timing in Customize Tuning – Timing of the Smarty Touch?

Hi Darren,

I would use setting 1 for the rail pressure. On standard softwares this gives no more pressure than stock, just ramps up slightly quicker. Leave wastegate on stock! Torque on stock or 1 will be safer for a stock trans but 3 will give instantaneous response.

The odd numbered power levels have timing as default. Simply use the odd numbered settings and use the setting for your year which is the "greatest" level. http://smartyresource.com/Downloads/Manuals/SmartyTouchComprehensiveGuide.pdf

http://smartyresource.com/downloads/manuals/SmartyTouchAdjustoptions.pdf

2003-2007 5.9L

Speed Limiter

The speed limiter can be adjusted anywhere from 25 to 250 MPH in one MPH

steps. IMPORTANT: Your tires might not be rated for increased speeds. Please

check your tires rating!

Injection Timing

The Timing selection can be programmed 1 (greatest), 2 (advanced) less than #1

or 3 (moderate) less than #2.

Rail Pressure

The Rail Pressure selection can be programmed 1 (mild), 2 (moderate) or 3

(wild).

Torque Management

The Torque selection can be programmed 1 (mild), 2 (moderate) or 3 (wild).

RPM Limiter (Race software only)

The RPM limiter is a check box. Check the box to turn the limiter off (up to 4000

RPM)

Shift Limiter (Race software only)

The shift limiter option is a check box. Check the box to remove the shift limiter.

This allows full fueling in between shifting (automatic transmissions). Keep in

mind this will remove the Park, neutral, drive, and reverse indicator lights. NOTE:

DO NOT USE ON A STOCK TRANSMISSION

Wastegate (2004.5-2007 Only)

This setting is either on, or off. Off will allow an aftermarket turbo to build full

boost by making sure the wastegate does not open to relieve pressure.

I hope this is a help.

Thank you!

Thanks again Brian for your help. Would you use the same settings above for both loaded and unloaded?

Also, I’m still confused about the timing. Under the “Customize Tuning – STD Revo” menu, is the “Added Timing” in the “Power Levels” window the same as those in the “Timing” window? If so, which one takes affect if they are both changed from “Stock”? Lastly, using a setting of #3 (60 Horsepower Increase, With timing) in the “Power Levels” window for a “2003-2007, Standard REVO Software”, what is the “With timing” equivalent to in the actual “Timing” window?

Good morning Darren!

I use the greatest timing setting towing or empty. As to recommend a SW level and parameter setting to you, I have not witnessed your driving habits to compare to mine.

Timing level is changed by changing the SW number. Use an odd numbered SW and default for your year on timing is the greatest. I ignore the even numbered SW's.