RAM67CTD

Timing question

i have a Smarty Jr and when I connect to my truck and go to timing options they display as follows: 1,2,3,4,default. The one page instructions doesn't even match the tuner display. I have a 2011 CTD early model (650tq). I am running sw3 timing 3 but I am not even sure what timing 3 is because everything I read states timing 2 is default. My tuner doesn't match. Please help.

Good afternoon!

On your '11 you would prefer to use setting 2 for the "greatest" timing. http://smartyresource.com/downloads/manuals/SmartyJR67UserGuide.pdf

Injection Timing

The Timing selection can be programmed 1 - Stock, 2 – Greatest (default), 3 - Advanced (less than

#2) or 4 - Mild (less than #3).

What causes confusion is the 07.5 - 09's are set up differently for the timing settings where 2 is still default and 4 is the "greatest".

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Brian

So my tuner is actually from an 07.5 to 09' truck, which explains why the new smarty's look completely different than my Jr. So on my readout on my tuner, 2 is greatest timing which is the same as just selecting the default setting? Or isn't default equal to the greatest setting? Currently running sw3 and timing 3. Will sw3 default be too much on a stock engine?

Another question, will reducing timing quiet the engine or help it run smoother. My dealer mechanic, who is tuner friendly, advised me a vibration I get from my engine while cold is do to timing advance. He also said I don't run my engine hard enough. During normal driving my engine is smooth as glass, but idling I can feeling the vibration come back, more so when the outside temps drop.

So my tuner is actually from an 07.5 to 09' truck, which explains why the new smarty's look completely different than my Jr. So on my readout on my tuner, 2 is greatest timing which is the same as just selecting the default setting? Or isn't default equal to the greatest setting? Currently running sw3 and timing 3. Will sw3 default be too much on a stock engine?

Happy Saturday!

Same tuner between the 6.7 years, just cosmetically different.

The softwares between the early and mid years are different which make the setting levels different as well.

On your '11, default is equal to the "greatest" timing setting. On the 07.5 - 09 it is not. For you SW 3 and timing at the greatest should be great depending on your driving habits. We recommend SW 2 for a stock auto and SW 3 for a stock clutched manual. Your driving habits let you get by with more. I hate to recommend a SW as everybody's driving styles are different.

Another question, will reducing timing quiet the engine or help it run smoother. My dealer mechanic, who is tuner friendly, advised me a vibration I get from my engine while cold is do to timing advance. He also said I don't run my engine hard enough. During normal driving my engine is smooth as glass, but idling I can feeling the vibration come back, more so when the outside temps drop.

My trucks work great with my timing settings. The beauty of the smarty is it is easy to experiment with by sampling various settings. I would recommend changing and see how each setting works on your individual '11.

Thank you!

Brian, what settings are you running and do you have any engine upgrades such as head studs? Is too much timing worse for the hg than to much Hp (70 vs 100)?

Edited by RAM67CTD

Good morning!

I use the greatest timing on my 07.5 which is stock and no head studs. The hundred horse tune is one i feel safe using as an everyday tune including towing.

Thank you!

Brian I noticed that while making adjustments on my tuner I can change the timing in the matter of seconds, unless I'm doing it wrong but the SW level takes about 5-10 minutes. While selecting timing levels the screen reads updating. Is this actually changing the timing or do I need to go through the 5-10min process.

You need to go thru the process of loading the whole tune after choosing your preferred timing level.