xcc_rider

Emissions legal tuning Q

Brian, its time for my smog check and I was wondering if you knew if the I/M's switch to the not-ready state when the ecm is returned to the stock tuning?

I know the tuning isn't "approved" for the great state of Kalyforrnya but if I have to wait for the I/M's to reset I just might try testing with it still loaded and see what happens.

thx, dan

Good morning Dan!

It takes a period for the I/M's to reset. The amount of time and key starts I do not recall.

Please keep us posted on the results Dan! :cheers:

Yah, that's what I thought. I guess I'll check my I/M's and see what state they're in while tuned. If all in ready state I'll give it a go. If not then its return to stock and drive it time.

thx

Fudermuckinbunofasitch! Or @&%#+*=#@&+$! if that makes more sense.

Darn C (I assume it's ecm or cat) isn't ready so I'm back to stock until tested and/or until I do more research on which one it is.

Still spinning my wheels waiting for the last "C" I/M to go to ready state. I've burned thru half a tank last week driving it to get it to go. Bummer, I normally use less than a tank a month and I'm really getting tired of how high the egt's are with stock tuning. They're easily 100 deg higher (or more) during all driving conditions and takes forever to cool the turbo before shutdown.

On well, I'll check it today and hopefully I can smog it and get back to my "normal" tuning. (can't wait...)

Amazing how proper tuning can improve our trucks.

Good luck making thru this government mandated ordeal! :thumbsup:

Brian, wondering what reduces the egt's in the tuning? Earlier injection timing is one I know but does the tuning alter the late (3rd and 4th) injection events?

Good morning Dan!

Yes Sir! An alteration does indeed take place.

Efficient Injection timing is the cause of reduced EGT. Many who have loaded a tune and mistakenly set timing too low have noticed the benefit the "greatest" timing setting gave them when changing the tune to allow the "greatest" timing.

Thank you!

OK, that explains it.

Passed smog today. I didn't have to worry. The kalyforrnya standard is all the I/M's have to be in the ready state except the exhaust aftertreatment monitor (I believe that was the "C" monitor I was trying to clear) and no cel's. Well, he never hooked up to the obd to check the I/M's. It turns out the smog equipment can't communicate with the can system so I could have saved myself 14 gal of fuel and just had it tested while tuned.

A visual check (he spent 10 minutes scratching himself while he tried to figure out what he was looking at) and a snap test was all it took. Under the obd test section all it said was passed and "smoke check" so no obd check at all.

I'll remember it for next time.

Thx for the info.

Great to hear that good news Dan. Your government will probably change that on you for next time. :doh: