bgeisler

Curious new owner of smarty jr...SETTINGS??

Greetings, I've looked around this forum and am glad to have found it. I have a 2005 1 ton manual 6 speed with 60k on it. Been babied really, driven gently. I picked up the tuner to bump my mileage and get some extra ponies for the 5th wheel I'm about to buy. I'm not yet diesel savvy, but I want to learn more about management of my tuner as I go. For now, however, I want to get the best mileage without compromising my tranny, clutch, or other pricey items. Are my tranny and clutch stout enough to handle the power increases safely? I see level 3 (with default timing/ torque settings) recommended most for mileage gains with a responsible right foot. Does this mean a simple tune to the level three and no other settings need changing, or is this level 3 with the need to individualize the other settings also? Should I set the POD to 99 or ???? Or do I even need to mess with this setting yet?

I haven't even installed the tuner yet, so I have a bunch of questions left after reading the vague and confusing literature included with the Smarty.

So please, bottom line, best setting for daily driver mixed conditions (as smoke free as possible), and best setting for towing once I need to for 5th wheel. I have no mods other than a catless exhaust with high flow Donaldson Muffler. Should I consider cold air intake also? Mixed opinions on this one. I do have a EGT gauge.

Thanks in advance, Brad

Good morning Brad!

If your clutch is in good shape I would not worry at all with the Jr on SW 3. If you had concern I would suggest TQ set to 1=stock. Responsible foot is the key and do not apply full throttle at a low rpm under load. For certain use the default timing setting which is 'Greatest" on the newer softwares.

Cold air intake? That would not be a benefit you would see at your power level and use.

Thank you Brad!

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Quick follow-up Question. Do I need to set the timing separately, or does the SW 3 setting include the most advanced timing setting?

Also, what RPMs should I be at when cruising, no load, just round town daily driving? Think I have been lugging motor based on recent recommendations I've read. I'm trying to maximize fuel economy and engine function, so just where does that beast like to be for best performance and economy? One last Question, sure it's been asked. What is weakest link in the truck with higher power setting....clutch, tranny, injectors, etc. Am I ok with just exhaust gauge, or do I need to be concerned with other parameters at that power level? Thanks again Brian

Brad

Good evening Brad!

SW 3 will have the most advanced timing on the default timing setting ( 2 ).

I'm happy going down the road on the level, with a trailer, near 1900 rpm or so. That area of rpm seems to be the happy spot.

The stock clutch is your weak link South Bend makes a wonderful upgrade. Your trans would be no issue nor injectors. Excess rail pressure causes injector issues but your Smarty has no higher rail pressure than stock.

The pyrometer is the most important for you. I like to monitor as much as I can therefore I enjoy my Smarty Touch and it's ability to monitor all the pid's to let you know what is going on. http://smartyresource.com/smartytouchpids.aspx More will be available soon as well, internally and with external sensors.

Not sure if my last post went through.

ON level 3, last few tanks I'm getting 14-15 MPG, light footing it. Definitely a decrease from the 16-17 I saw before tuner. Any suggestions Brian or anyone else? My mechanic used scanner to check boost leak and found none, but I'm not sure he's the most qualified Cummins guy. Maybe some other things to look for???

thanks in advance, Brad

Good morning Brad! Indeed boost leaks and fuel pressure are a couple things to check. I apply air to the system with a rubber cap on the turbo and listen for leaks. Also confirm timing is set to the "greatest".