kenwedpo

Smarty Touch Smoke Just Off Idle.

I just got my smarty touch for my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 the truck is stock just added the touch for a little more power the transmission is upgraded with a triple disc converter and other bits. The issue I am having is that when I go to accelerate I get a cloud of back smoke and then the boost catches up and there is no more smoke. I do live in the Denver area so we are at 5200 feet roughly. I have called and talked to Dillan over there and he advised me to try some different settings, mode 3, timing 1, Still smoke, mode 1, timing 1 still smoke, There is a window that I can return this tuner so I would love to sort this out and keep it but with it smoking like this it becomes a expensive way to monitor my engine temps. Last year I installed 6 bosch injectors they were re-mans but defiantly bosch. My filters are good and clean, putting the truck back to stock settings (no tune) I just have a slight haze when I push the go pedal no big black clouds. The truck does have 240k miles on it but runs good other wise, one thing I did notice is that I have a obd2 reader and with that plugged in looking at boost I get roughly 26psi, with the touch plugged in I get 32psi with no tune?!? Not to sure if they are reading the same sensor also just a FYI I do have a full snap on scanner to use if need be. Thanks again any help would be good.. Ohh I also just updated the touch with the latest firmware.

Good morning Ken! Like Derek mentioned UDC tuning is a great benefit.

Keep in mind that at 5200 foot elevation the air is thin and one will indeed witness more smoke, lower boost, and higher egt because of the elevation.

I would also try putting the TQ setting on stock to reduce fueling before the boost comes in.

Thank you!

Good morning Ken! Like Derek mentioned UDC tuning is a great benefit.

Keep in mind that at 5200 foot elevation the air is thin and one will indeed witness more smoke, lower boost, and higher egt because of the elevation.

I would also try putting the TQ setting on stock to reduce fueling before the boost comes in.

Thank you!

Is there somewhere in Denver area that does UDC Tuning or is that something I can do myself? I do have access to a dyno?

We have an active UDC tuner on this site who can fix you up remotely if you wish to have a pro tune your truck or you can do it yourself.

UDC is set up so the end user can choose to do his own. You would find much value in these write-ups and tips/guides/presentation with information on using UDC. http://smartyresource.com/SmartyUDC.aspx :cheers: