Required Tools & Parts:
1. Ft Lbs Torque Wrench
2. In Lbs Torque Wrench
3. 3/4” or 19mm Open End Wrench
4. 3/8” Drive Ratchet
5. 8mm Socket
6. 10mm Socket
7. 13mm Open End Wrench ( To release #6 injector line guard )
8. 24mm Shallow Socket
9. Air Intake Horn Gaskets ( 2 )
10. Valve Cover Gasket ( Optional )
11. Rocker Housing Gasket ( Optional )
12. BBI Injector Set
13. Supply Tubes ( 6 ) ( Recommend if over 100,000 miles or contaminants present )
14. Fuel Filter
INJECTOR REMOVAL AND INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CUMMINS 5,9
CR-MODELS 2003 UP
1. Disconnect both battery cables from batteries and secure ends.
2. Clean valve cover, rocker housing and cylinder head. Look especially to the fuel lines and retainers on the cylinder head are really clean. Use brake cleaner to perform this step.
3. Remove air horn and put a towel in the open tube coming from the intercooler.
4. Disconnect the engine wiring harness at the 3 (2003-2005) or 2 (2006up) connectors.
5. Remove valve cover
6. Open retainer nut from fuel line coming from CP3 beneath fuel rail. Open return line. Remove all line support brackets and the bolts on the fuel rail. Open all fuel high pressure nuts at cylinder head. Now you can remove the lines and the rail as one part.
7. Remove high pressure connector tubes. No special tools are necessary, they are coming out really easy by prying a little bit. But take care about the threads.
8. Remove the 12 injector harness nuts
9. Remove cylinder head cover gasket with harness.
10. Remove rocker arm assembly. Mark them so you can put them back to their place. Do not merge any rocker assembly parts. Let stay them together.
11. Open the two fuel injector hold down clamps and remove them.
12. With slightly turning the fuel injector from left to right and pulling upward you can remove the injector without special tools. We never used a special tool or had the need to use it. Important trick is to loosen the injector by turning it left and right, then pull it out.
13. Ensure that the little copper sealing washer is on top of the injector.
1. Clean fuel injector bore. Be sure no old copper shim is left in bore.
2. Our injectors are factory completed with copper shims and o-rings, but to be on the safe side, control it once more.
3. Apply a small amount of oil to the o-ring.
4. Install injector into cylinder head with male (high pressure port) connector port facing to the intake manifold. Push down on fuel injector mounting flange to engage o-ring and seat injector.
5. Tightening Sequence from Service Manual:
a. Install fuel injector hold down clamp (mounting flange) bolts. Do a
preliminary tightening of these bolts to 5 Nm (44 in. lbs) torque. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and centered.
b. After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c. Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 15Nm (11 ft. lbs) torque.
d. Alternately tighten injector hold down bolts to 10Nm (89 in. lbs) torque.
e. Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 50Nm (37 ft. lbs) torque.
6. Install cylinder head cover gasket with harness.
7. Connect injector solenoid wires and nuts to top of injectors. Tighten connector nuts to 1,25 Nm (11 in. lbs) torque. In this step you have really must be carefully, if you overtighten this nuts the electrical connection is lost and the injector is damaged.
8 Control each pushrod that it correctly hits the tappet
9 Install the rocker arm assembly, tighten to 36 Nm (27ft. lbs) torque
10. Control and adjust valve lash.
11. Install fuel rail with lines and tighten high pressure lines at cylinder head to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs). High pressure line under rail tighten to 37 Nm (27 ft. lbs)
12. Install valve cover
13. Install air horn and remove towel
14. Connect negative battery cables
15. Have fun with our product.
Team Big Bang Injection